Alcázar of Segovia, An Arab Castle in Spain: 1966
The Alcázar of Segovia (“The Segovia Castle“) is a medieval castle built during the islamic era in Spain. It is located in the province of Castile and León, on the road between Madrid and Valladolid.
The Segovia Castle is one of the most recognizable castle-palaces in Spain because of its shape, which resembles the bow of a ship. It rises out on a rocky cliff at the western end of the old town. It overlooks the junction of rivers Eresma and Clamores in the bottom of Sierra de Guadarrama.
This Castle was constructed in the 11th century during the muslim rule in Spain. Many sources attribute the construction of the castle to the Almoravid dynasty that ruled large areas of Spain during the reign of King Yusuf ibn Tashfin (1071-1106). Almoravid dynasty ruled Morocco, and parts of West Africa, Algeria and spain in the 11th and 12th century.
The city of Segovia and its Castle were conquered by the Christians during the Reconquista. Since then, twenty-two monarchs used the city as a royal palace, as a state jail, and a military institution. UNESCO designated Segovia’s Old Town, which includes the Alcázar, as a World Heritage Site.
Today, it is used as a museum and a military archives building since its declaration as a National Archive by a Royal Decree in 1998.
Catalog Reference: Yvert & Tellier n° 1394.