In 1964, the Emirate of Sharjah issued a set of 6 stamps with major landcapes and landmarks of the Emirate.
1- Port and city of Khor Fakkan
Khor Fakkan is an important city and port of the Gulf of Oman at the extreme east of the United Arab Emirates. The city is known for its beautiful sand beaches on the sea side and the view of the mountains around it from the other sides. Its port has a strategic importance because it is located directly on the Gulf of Oman. Thanks to this position, it is may not impacted by any navigation issues in the strait of Hormuz.
2- Bedouin camp of the tribe of Beni Qatab
The second stamp shows a bedouin camp of the tribe of Beni Qatab near the oasis of Dhaid. Beni Qatab tribe lives in the territory of Sharjah and in the sultanat of Oman. The picture is said to be near the oasis of Al Dhaid in the center of the Sharjah Emirate.
3- The oasis of Al Dhaid
The oasis of Al Dhaid is located in the center of the Sharjah Emirate, about 30 miles east of the city of Sharjah. It is known for its fertile land and abundant water. It is one of the most prominent agricultural centers in the United Arab Emirates. It known for growing strawberries. In the past, the oasis formed a summer residence to escape from the high humidity of the coastal cities.
4- The castle of Kalba
The Castle of Kalba is a defensive Fort on the eastern coast of the United Arab Emirates south of the city of Khor Fakkan. The fort in located in the city of Kalba overlooking its port. It was built in 1745 on the remains of an old portugese fortification of the 17th century.
5- A Sharjah Street with wind tower
The stamp shows a clasical street for Sharjah with a wind tower. The wind tower is a formal structural element in local traditional architecture. Its function is to catch cooler breeze
that prevail at a higher level above the ground and to direct it into the interior of the buildings in order to provide living comfort for occupants. It was a form of local Air Conditionning system.
6- Sharjah Fortress
The sharjah Fort (Al Hisn) is a two-storey square building with a large inner courtyard in the middle, containing three defensive towers. It is located in center of the city of Sharjah not far from its port. The fort was the residence of the ruling Al Qasimi family, and the seat of government in Sharjah.
The fort was originally constructed in 1823 by the then Ruler of Sharjah, Sheikh Sultan bin Saqr Al Qasimi. In 1969, the then ruler Sheikh Khalid bin Muhammad Al Qasimi ordered the demolition of the fort. His brother, the current ruler Sheikh Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, intervened then to stop the demilition but it was too late. Most of the fort was demolished except one tower (Burj Al Kabs) .
Sheikh Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, took notes of the line of the remaining foundation and saved various fittings from the demolition site, which enaled him to order the reconstruction of the fort in 1996. The fort was turned into a museum of the modern history of Sharjah and its ruling family.